I know, it has been quite a long time since I have posted anything on this site. As I explained before, the future of this movement will not be on wordpress. While busy with other things, I have been working on the new site.
To be concrete, I have made the following decisions:
- to use Django CMS as the platform of choice
- to use the Bootstrap 5 toolkit to build a theme, which I am still working on
- the new site will be hosted on my own VPS
- I have already registered a domain – the whole “Lagrangian Republic” brand will be dropped
The new domain name will be announced when the new site will be finished and officially launched.
A few other issues need to be addressed as wel:
- I might drop the pen name “Mordanicus” as well, what my new pen name – if any – might be, is yet to be decided.
- My other “blog” Fascinating Future will also moved away from wordpress. But that site will also get a complete rebranding, the details are also yet to be decided.
Stay tuned for further up-dates!
On August 6th, our domain name republicoflagrangia.org will expire. We have decided not to renew this domain. Our decision is based on the following reasons:
- We no longer want to financially support WordPress, due to their commitment to downgrading user experience;
- The name “Republic of Lagrangia” has already been obsolete for years but still people do not get it;
- We have registered a brand new domain name – which we will reveal later – and hence the whole “Republic of Lagrangia” / “Lagrangian Republican Association” brands will be retired.
Also we are still intending to leave WordPress(.com) all together. However, the move to new site will be part of a larger rethinking of our strategy and our rebranding. After 8.5 years we have to conclude that mere blogging is not the way forward in creating a movement.
This “blog” will remain online until August 1st, 2022, though no new content will be published. Only updates like this one will appear here. A few thing about our new site can be stated at this moment:
- The new site will be hosted in the EU and more precisely in the Netherlands, so it will comply with both EU and Dutch law;
- There will be no more ability to post comments. Our experience is that comment forms are often abused by spammers and also we have to deal with a lot of low quality comments as well the occasional trolls and cranks.
We wish you all a nice day and be safe!
WordPress.com has introduced some major changes and these are simple unacceptable. Hence we have no choice but to leave this unreliable and user hostile platform. From Juli 1st, both this site and Fascinating Future will move to a non-WP environment.
Though this site will not be updated, pending the new website (scheduled for August), I will continue writing and publishing stuff on my other site Fascinating Future.
On that site I mostly write about my own mundane science fiction, world building but also discuss certain developments regarding science & technology as well societal issues like Brexit.
It has been eight years ago when we decided to move to WordPress from blogger as our primary platform for spreading our message. Initially this proved a good decision as the number of visitors rose after our move and quickly this site got a small but loyal base of followers. Continue reading Service announcement
Over the last eight years have published a lot of posts dealing with a wide variety of topics on this site. Now the time has arrived the consolidate those into a book that puts forward my view of a better society for all.
Continue reading Status update
After discussing the automation of farms, construction, clothing manufacturing and barber shops, let’s take a look at the future of the hospitality industry.
A Dutch restaurant already employs a robot waitress, called Amy:
Continue reading Restaurant automation
Automation and robots are coming to the barber shop!
Hair washing robots already seem to be quite mature:
Continue reading Hair care automation
Automation is also coming to the world of construction:
Continue reading Construction Automation
Garment manufacturing is one of the largest industries in the world – not many people want to be naked all the time. However, this industry is plagued by abuse of workers in so-call low wage countries. Continue reading Garment Industry Automation